Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Dexter Street Saga Vol. 1

I recently purchased a house on Dexter Street.  It was a long and weary road to travel.  I had no idea that it could really be that stressful, and wow, was it ever.  Let's start from the beginning.

I was living in a very old, broken down trailer in a trailer park with my cousin.  His grandmother died and left him her house, so he moved out, and I stayed.  It was an absolute shithole of a place with many forms of dust, dirt, mold, and mildew throughout, and I should have left way before I did.  However, my history as a tenant is sordid at best, and my name wasn't on the lease, so the situation was quite convenient, if nothing else.

Anyway, the circumstances arose to where I could actually purchase a house, paying cash money, without having to deal with any financing or credit complications, and I was ecstatic.  After checking out a couple places, I decided on this one.  705 Dexter Street.

Its a nice little ranch style 3 bedroom, one and a half bath, 1100 square foot brick house with a garage on a corner lot the size of a small farm.  I'm not going to tell you how much I paid for it because it's none of your damn business, but I will happily tell you that I got a very, very sweet deal. 

So I decided that this was definitely the house that I wanted, and I went for it.  I got all my ducks in a row and walked my happy ass into the realtors office ready to make a deal.  Contract completed, offer submitted.....

...a day too late.  Unbeknownst to me, and apparently my realtor as well, the house had foreclosed the day before.  The "A Day Late and a Dollar Short" adage once again rears his ugly, gnarled head.  Only this time, I actually had all the dollars, maybe for the first time in my life. 

My head is spinning at this point, as you can probably imagine.  But what I felt to be good news at the time was then given to me by my realtor.  Now that the bank has foreclosed on it, it will go up for online auction sometime in the next six weeks or so.  This wasn't a problem for me at all.  I was doing okay in my current abode, and six weeks was a drop in a bucket as far was I was concerned.  This was going to be a snap.

Six weeks turned into about eight months.  I had completely given up on calling my realtor because it was always the same "I haven't heard anything but I'm always checking on it" response.  There were plenty of other places up for sale, but not really in the neighborhood I wanted to be in, either geographically or financially, and I was quite frankly a little heartbroken.  Then out of the blue, like a surprise visit from your old third grade lunch partner, I get a call from my realtor.  The house is up for auction online, but there is only 2 days remaining.

I had completely given up on it, and was actually looking for another rental to get into by now.  The surprise was certainly a welcome one.  Back to the realtors office goes my VERY happy ass again, all my ducks in a row, ready to make a deal.  Contract completed, online bid submitted.  I felt incredible.  I really thought this was going to be it.  I specifically remember asking my realtor "How long before I know if I got it or not" and I recall her response being something like "Oh it won't be long at all.  The auction ends in a couple days and you should know one way or the other in just a couple days at most".  You can probably already guess what comes next.  A couple of days turned into...

...another couple of weeks.  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment